BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, November 12, 2010

How Dante's Epic Words Stroke Me for the Better


Informal Theme #4
Blog #4


            A literary classic. A book to read before you die. That is how I describe “The Divine Comedy”. The Divine Comedy is without question the greatest work of literature the medieval world ever produced. Ever wondered why this is so-called a ‘masterpiece’?
                                        
            You've probably heard of The Divine Comedy from its first section, Dante's Inferno. But the original classic goes much further. You have to guide Dante through Hell, to Purgatory, then Paradise, and through the heavens to finally see the face of God. Along the way you learn more about the nature of faith, the real inhabitants of this planet, and the great danger that faces all reality. The poem's imaginative and allegorical vision of the Christian afterlife is a culmination of the medieval world-view as it had developed in the Western Church.

            “A great flame follows a little spark.” This short quotation from the piece gave meaning to my thoughts, that a sin you’ve done here on Earth corresponds to a much greater punishment, which, however, takes longs from how much your sin weighs to forever. I can assure you that I have become a better person when I read this book (much lesser commitment of sins, seriously asking for forgiveness for my wrong doings every night when I pray, etc.), that’s how it influenced me. Others who have known the story behind this are somehow affected by Dante’s words, no matter how large or small the impact may be. I totally recommend everyone to read this and pass the words on!



0 comments: